"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Would you like an ad or review with your "savings" blog?

I have been following some money saving blogs and I have noticed an upsetting common denominator. Several of them promote products (they probably got for "free" or compensated to review from a company) through"reviews", adds for online shopping sites, "coupon classes" and their own products encouraging people to buy things. I don't like this one bit. In fact, I think it is disgusting that people are presenting this appearance of trying to help people save money when in fact they are trying to make money off the people who visit their blog. I think this is wrong and I will never "monetize" my blogs.

I doubt I will get any uproar from these comments because apparently very few people read this blog from the amount of comments I receive. Oh well, at least I have my integrity and even if I help one person save money that will be reason enough to keep blogging.

4 comments:

  1. Beth, I have noticed the huge sites promote products, but alot of smaller bloggers are only stating their opinions. Your doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all in favor of anyone stating their opinion (I am known for my strong opinions myself,lol) as long as they make it clear whether or not it has been compensated in some way. I just think it is hypocrytical of the sites that espouse being frugal and trying to be debt-free trying to convince people to spend money on things that are not helping them achieve frugality or being debt free. Thanks for your input : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go girl! :) I'll be stopping by so keep bloggin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelley! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete