"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Beth's wheat banana yogurt bread

I hate throwing away food. I work really hard to save money on buying food and I also know there are people in this country and all over the world who would kill to eat the food I throw away. So I hate ripe bananas as does everyone in my family. We like them a little green. For this reason I buy bananas every 3 days or so because once they get too many spots not a soul in this house will eat them. I have been inspired by all the money saving blogs I have been following to try even harder to not only save more money on groceries but to also waste less food. So don't throw away those ripe bananas!!!

Here is my original recipe that I made by looking at a wheat sweet bread and banana bread recipe. I don't like the traditional banana bread recipe because it uses white flour. I am also always trying to sneak more nutrition into sweet snacks for the 2 sugar addicts in my family (Pat and Olivia). This is not a low calorie or low sugar recipe but it does have more protein and fiber than the traditional recipe.

Preheat oven to 375

In small bowl, stir with a fork-

2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour

(I use King Arthur) It is a light colored, less coarse whole wheat flour

2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

Set aside.

In a large bowl stir until creamy-

1/3 cup margarine (I prefer I can't believe it's not butter)

1 cup sugar

Beat into margarine and sugar-

2 eggs

2 ripe bananas mashed with a fork

1/2 cup plain yogurt

Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients in about 3 parts until well mixed.

Pour mixture into well greased bread pan (I use cooking spray). Cook for 50 minutes. Let cool for five minutes and then place your hand on the top of the loaf, flip pan upside down onto your hand and tap bottom until loaf comes out. Place right side up on cooling rack. Wait ten minutes before cutting and use serrated knife with short sawing motion to minimize crumbling. I store my loaf wrapped in foil in the fridge. It becomes super moist and even tastier once it has been in the fridge : ) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment