"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Thursday, June 18, 2009

6/18 Thrifty Thursday-Homemade bread crumbs

I want to start some weekly tip posts. So here is this weeks Thrifty Thursday tip. If you have a Thrifty tip please post one on your blog and let me know so I can check it out : )

I like to eat whole wheat products. Whole wheat bread crumbs are expensive and I have to travel a half hour away to buy them. We were just throwing away our bread loaf ends until I realized we could make bread crumbs out of them!

Homemade bread crumbs

Preheat oven 200 degrees

Place bread loaf ends in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Flip over slices of bread and bake another 1 hour and 15 minutes. Take them out of the oven and let cool. Put a metal grater in a large plastic storage bag and grate each slice. Once you are done, put bread crumbs in an airtight canister.

I use mine to make chicken nuggets and turkey meatballs. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. yeah great tip! have you tried whole wheat cheerios? you can just throw them in a food processor & they turn out great. has a great shelf life too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. diff girl-Oh my God! Cheerios? We ALWAYS have Cheerios in the house because my son is still obsessed with eating them dry like a toddler. This is such a great tip. I will definately try it! Thanks : )

    ReplyDelete