"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

6/30 Trash to Treasure Tuesday

I believe that truly being green is not about running out and buying brand new "green" products but using what is already around us. Recycling, reusing and repurposing is a challenge and fun for me. It also appeals to my frugal side ; )

I found this little gem at Goodwill last week. I had seen it there when I scored the brand new shoes I bought for Olivia but there wasn't a price tag on it and I was already buying her shoes. I went back last Thursday (triple stamps on your value card day) and it was still there! It was $15 and I used my full value card worth $5 so it was only $10. My husband bought a paint brush and can of varnish for around $10.


I had already started sanding it when I remembered I needed to take "before" pictures so that is why it is a little dusty looking. I hand sanded it and was trying to create a worn look. I wasn't expecting much considering how it looked when I sanded it.
Does anyone know what the heck this pull out piece is!?

Here is the other side of the same piece. I didn't bother sanding this part.


This little table was definitely a diamond in the rough!
It surpassed all my expectations and looked gorgeous once I put a coat of varnish on. The varnish is still not completely dry in spots. I put it in direct sunlight for a couple days and that really helped harden it. If the sun shines at all this week I will pop it back outside for a bit.

I would love to see everybody else's trash to treasure finds or things that you have recycled, repurposed or reused to keep things out of the trash or utilize what is already here. If you post something on your blog let me know so I can check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! I totally share your ideas on frugality and repurposing. Be careful when working with sanding and varnish as you can inhale lots of toxins!
    My guess is that an ashtray fit into the little hole? Perhaps it was glass and broke, or metal and has been lost. Interesting!!

    ReplyDelete