"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Home and yard improvement staycation

What we have been doing for over a decade now because we are poor is now the hip thing to do for the newly poor, the "staycation". A staycation is a stay at home vacation. What do anal retentive neat freaks do on their staycation? Clean, organize and fix things of course! We worked our butts off this weekend. We just moved here about 3 months ago and we are still getting things sorted out and squared away. Here's what we did......


Pat went and got some really nice plywood cut to fit the area next to the kids craft/messy sensory area in the basement where there were already 3 2x4's to nail it to. We also rearranged and reorganized the area.


The rug is actually 2 area rugs put together. They are 100% cotton and were only $5 a piece! They are perfect for the basement because they can be washed in the washer and dried in the dryer. I want more for the rest of the basement but it wasn't in the budget this month.

Now my laundry area is separate from kids area and hopefully their space is less visually overstimulating.


"THE MAN CAVE" OR "THE PAT CAVE"

Pat spent Friday ripping apart an old work bench and turning it into a computer desk/recording studio. I spent Friday putting free virus software on that old computer so he could transfer files. I uploaded the virus software and then panicked that it would somehow mess up our newer computer by registering the free one to his e-mail. So I uninstalled it. Went to put our current free virus software on the old computer only to find out that it is only for the newer computer and had to reinstall the other brand of virus software on the old computer all over again. Then I did a virus scan that took forever and then a disc cleanup and defrag to prepare the computer for transferring his files.
Pat had to go buy this foam pipe cover for the support pole after Olivia banged the side of her face on it by turning into it, Pat and I also walked into it.


It looked like this before being covered. Ouchy.
Luckily we had an old flat sheet that just happened to match the couch and throw rug to cover his equipment and protect it from the dust in the basement.

Yesterday we tackled the horribly unattractive backyard that can be best described as weeds gone wild. I think this property was vacant before my landlord bought it this winter because the entire yard front, side and back is in terrible shape. Pat finished yanking down the dead vines. I had done the majority of it where I could reach and either pull them down or cut them down with sheers last weekend. Pat had the brilliant idea to use our metal rake to snag the ones that were out of reach.

I planted some flowers against the back wall after Olivia and Pat cleaned up the area. I found these bricks where the landlord had pulled down an old shed. They were half buried in the dirt as a foundation. Reuse and recycle!!

I found a use for the gazillion rocks I had sifted from the garden I planted on the side of the house (those of you who read my other blog remember the photos of all those rocks!) I pulled and dug out all the weeds and moss from underneath the shrubs and from the front of the house and covered the areas with the rocks. Cheap and cheerful!

BEFORE AFTER

BEFORE


AFTER


THE PORCH

The inside of our porch was covered in mold, dust and dirt. I wiped down every inch from ceiling to and including the floor with diluted bleach (except the ceiling).

Gee, which is the dirty side?




Gee, which side is the clean side?


BEFORE


AFTER


Finally, a clean healthy porch!



The cats give it the sniff test.


Pat took the screen to Lowe's where they showed him how to install new screen for $5 bucks and change! The old screen had a big rip on the bottom corner and every time we go to leave the house we worry the cats might slip out and escape through the hole. He also put a latch at the bottom and a child proof zip tie on the door so we can keep the storm door open and the kids and kitties can go out on the porch when it is nice out.




Can't wait for summer!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow you got a lot of work done- I wish I was as motivated! Cute kitties too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't relax when things are dirty and disorganised. So basically, I'm never really relaxed! I am vainly fighting the natural chaos of the universe one day at a time. I am obsessed with shows like Clean House and How Clean Is Your House because I can't imagine ever living with that kind of filth and mess. I think I would implode just walking into a place like that!

    ReplyDelete