"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stockpiling vs. hoarding


How is stockpiling different from hoarding? Stockpile-A supply stored for future use, usually carefully accrued and maintained. Hoard- A hidden fund or supply stored for future use; a cache.

The key difference between the two is one is hidden and the other is usually carefully accrued and well maintained. I believe I am stockpiling based on the definition. We have had some tough financial times since we have been together over 11 years. Out of necessity, I have found different ways to save money and also stockpile. I know some of my reasons for accruing such a massive amount of supplies is due to the times in the past when we had so little money that we ran out of things and just didn't have the money to go out and buy more until the next paycheck. I always ask my husband, "Do you think I'm hoarding?" He knows that I just want to make sure we always have enough and don't run out. We are still on a budget and he now gets paid bimonthly.

It seems that in this recession everyone is looking for ways to save money. One way I save tons of money is by stockpiling items that we always use when they are on sale and there is a good coupon for them. More on getting large amounts of coupons and combining them with sales and rebates in another posting. All items in my stockpiles were purchased for at least 50% off or more and some for FREE!
First, let me show you some of my stockpiles : )

This is just some of what is in my upstairs bathroom. Yes, I have enough toilet paper for an army : )

I also stockpile clothing and shoes when they are dirt cheap! I found these shoes for my daughter about two weeks ago. They were on clearance at Walmart for $1.00 a pair!! I own a pair of real Crocs and they aren't any better. I bought 3 pairs for me, one pair for Stephen to wear now and one in the next size up (they didn't have a lot in his sizes : ( ) I bought her 3 pairs to wear now. These 4 pairs are in the next size up.
12 pairs of shoes for $12.00!! What I love is they are comfy, washable, can be worn in hot weather or worn with socks when it is cool.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe how organised your stock is, I would love to have something similar, your photos are very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! Please check back because I will be doing a post just on using coupons, sales and rebates to stock up real cheap.

    ReplyDelete