"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

08/12 Day of firsts in harvesting and blanching!


I harvested my first cukes and squashes today! Not impressive in size but hopefully they will be impressive in taste.

Above-harvest #2
Below-2 days later harvest #3 of yellow beans.
I don't want my family to get sick of yellow beans so I decided it was time to try blanching and freezing. It was not as difficult as I thought. I love this free Ziploc pump (coupon) and bag system. The pump is easy to use and can be washed in the dishwasher. If the pump holds up and the veggies survive freezing I will do a full review at some point.



How is your harvesting and preserving going?

7 comments:

  1. I'm trying to pack the freezer with green beans. Friends say the Ziploc pump works great but I'd like to hear what you think. I think your stuff looks great. I need to start planting my cooler weather veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer-What are you planting for the fall? I am thinking of pulling up my tomato plants if they don't ripen soon. Are you planting winter squash, pumpkin? I am excited that the green beans are almost ready to pick. I still can't believe I have grown food and it was all given to me as seeds or small plants so it's all free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who runs a small farmette here in NJ and I asked his advice about what to plant. Lettuce and cabbage he said are good cool weather crops and he said to plant kale, broccoli, radish, spinach, beets and carrots now and they can grow in cold weather. I've done pumpkins before but not with much luck and they take over the garden. My space is miniature compared to yours. I'd like to get enough veggies to last us through the winter. Between freezing and canning hopefully I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been getting a decent amount of zucchini and tomatoes. So I have been making spag. sauce and freezing. I also added very finely grated zuc to the sauce. No one in the house knows its in there. I also shredded zuc for future use and froze it. I am pretty happy with my first year efforts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, oh Beth, where are you? Are you OK? I know this was a lot of work, ha, ha, but hopefully you're alright?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn's Money-I'm still alive! I'm just very busy and trying to get the kids ready to go back to school. I just haven't had the brain power to blog lately : ( I will hopefully get caught up this week. My daughter goes back to school on Tuesday. It's nice to know I'm missed in the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Kristie staryed back on Friday, yeah, I don't get it Friday! She's a Sophomore, she's the baby! Glad your OK!

    ReplyDelete