"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Saturday, August 8, 2009

08/08 Garden update

This lovely image of blight in my garden snapped me out of my gardening naivete very quickly in the past week. I started seeing leaves in even more advanced stages of blight about 2 weeks ago but didn't realize the magnitude of what I was looking at. I saw a post from a fellow blogger about 2 weeks ago with horrific photos of her completely rotten tomato plants and realized that the same thing was beginning to happen to mine. I have been gardening by the seat of my pants this summer with no real knowledge of the all the things that could kill my veggies. I now know that there are more than bugs and slugs that can wipe out an entire crop. I will be doing my homework this winter so that I will be able to garden organically at a higher level next year.





There are no zukes for me. I was given seeds that were labeled zukes but all I have is summer squash. Anybody got good summer squash recipes?

This is the reason I staked almost all my plants. We have had terrible storms and winds this summer. I also think that keeping my plants off the ground helps prevent rot and keep them away from slugs and other ground dwelling predators.

The big one.

The yellow beans and green beans.


We have already had a dinner with yellow beans this week!

The green beans are coming along.

Here are my stripped down tomato plants. I have stripped about half of the branches off in the past week to keep the blight at bay. These things are the size of small trees! Should I cut back the tops?

I have pulled off about 4 rotten tomatoes so far. Hoping to actually get a couple that ripen and are edible.






The peppers.


The big one #2. #1 fell victim to some bugs and had to be picked off and chucked.

This is 2 different cuke plants that I have criss crossed between the stakes.



The big one. My first cucumber has bit the dust. This is the biggest one now.

The other cukes.

The cukes have been growing across the tops of the squashes and attaching themselves to the squash stakes. I think next year I will alternate rows of squash with cukes to save room.
This one is strictly vertical.

These cuke plants are producing spiky punk rock looking cukes.

Hope you are all doing well with your gardens!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the organic garden! The 'Late Blight' seems to be spreading like wildfire in the Northeast this year. Not much you can do about it except destroy the plants affected in hopes the blight doesn't spread to your other none 'mater plants. Check this out.... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/nyregion/18tomatoes.html
    The wet conditions this summer around here is partly to blame.

    We love summer squash here & usually serve it one of three ways.
    1-slice lengthwise. toss in a bowl with a little EVOO to coat. Place on foil on gas or charcoal grill. Shake some "McCormick's SALAD SUPREME" on it. Flip and repeat. It grills out in about 3-4 mins. on each side. Salad Supreme comes in a little spice bottle and can be found with the other spices in the grocery store. It's just seasonings with some parmesan cheese. It's 'suppose' to be used on salads but we put it on grilled veggies and it's yummy. You could also use any seasonings/spices you like instead.
    2-Just saute with chopped onions in a pan with butter until tender.
    3-Do #2 and then use it to Make Squash Casserole. It's similar to an italian zuke & cheese casserole but with yellow squash. (I believe Giada D. made the Italian version on a Food Network show & the zuke version recipe is on the FN site.) Sautee onions & squash til tender. Mix 1/2 c.mayo, 1 egg, a bit of sugar, salt & pepper and 1 c. of grated cheddar cheese together in a casserole dish. Add the squash/onion mixture and stir to mix. Sprinkle more grated cheese and crumbled Ritz type crackers on top(crackers are optional).
    Pop in the 350 degree oven for 30-40 min. Should be bubbling and browning on top. You can also make this in a crockpot on hot days or in a solar oven.
    4-Just slice in rounds, batter it(milk dip, then flour or bread crumb dip)and deep fry it.
    Serve hot with ranch dressing to dip(optional). Being fried, the kids adore it this way and you don't have to cajole them to eat their veggies!lol

    I will also grate the squash and mix it into meatloaf or zucchini bread.

    I hope these ideas help.
    Enjoy that squash!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slugmama-Wow! Thank you so much for all these great ideas for using squash! Mine are on the small side but I'm sure if I can get enough of them together I will be able to try out these great recipes. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete