"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

07/07 Garden and landscape update

I almost killed my precious, most generous, Impatiens this weekend : ( I transplanted them to the back yard in direct sunlight! I totally forgot they fry and die in the sun like a vampire until I saw them wilting in the sun. I immediately transplanted them, again, to shady spots in the back yard. I paid $10 for these 2 hanging plants at Lowe's in June. All the Impatiens in the flower garden on the side of our house and in the back yard came from these two hanging pots!! If you have a lot of shade and are on a budget, you can take plants out of these pots and leave a couple and they will multiply again and again. This is what is left of them in their pots after I transplanted for the second time this summer. They will be full in a couple weeks again : )


I hate slugs!! I finally found the primary cause of all the holes in my flowers and plants, especially the Petunias-SLUGS!! Every morning I and Olivia go slug hunting. We pick them out and salt them. Since we have started doing this everyday my Petunias are almost back to 100% health and my other flowers and veggies are thriving : )
Here is the new shed our landlord bought and Pat and I helped build two weeks ago. Love it!!
I finally weeded this area and cut back some of the vines and discovered one big and one little Hostas plant. We also have what appears to be grape vines next to the shed!

Here is the cheapo grill/fire pit Pat and Olivia built on the 4th. This area was dirt a week and a half ago! The grass seed we've been using totally rocks! This is the strawberry plant my landlord's wife gave me. The slugs have eaten 2 so far : (
Here is the garden.


I have a baby tomato!!!


The green and yellow beans are coming along.

The pepper plants are still kicking and have flower buds that are getting ready to bloom. I have cukes planted in two different areas.

More cukes.

Here are some of the transplanted Impatiens.
The rest of the transplanted Impatiens.

I need to work on this area. I cut back a bunch of branches and vines and cleared a bunch of dead leaves and crap. Lots of potential.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, if you put out some pie tins with beer in it, they will capture the slugs, they love beer, they get drunk and drown, well...what better ending could you want for a creepy slug!Love your pics and garden. Where state, area do you live in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn's Money-I've heard of the beer trick just in a can buried at ground level instead. I would try it but it has been raining so much that I would have to be constantly checking on them and worrying that my plants were drowning in beer. I also have a garden on a hill which nixes the pie tin idea. I don't mind slug hunting ; ) Thanks for the advice : ) We live in MA.

    ReplyDelete