"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Saturday, September 4, 2010

9/4/10 Garden update


My yellow and red tomatoes that I cut up to make spaghetti sauce with. I've harvested so many tomatoes over the past couple of weeks that I have been able to make several batches of sauce for meals AND eat them raw and slice them up for sandwhichs!
I took these photos on 8/30.

My tomatoes have been very bountiful and delicious. Unfortunately, this past week has had hot days and cool nights (creates a lot of condensation on the leaves) and my tomato plants have become infected. One plant had signs of late blight but I pulled off the infected parts and its still hanging in there. Another plant has lots of small brown spots. Again, I cut off the infected parts and its still kicking. I probably should have been spraying them with fungicide more often but things have been crazy this past week.






My yellow tomatoes below have all been huge and a beautiful yellow inside.




My snow pea and pea plants have replaced my cukes on the trellis.



My summer squash are very infected and not producing very much. I think it might be time to rip them out and transplant some of my seedlings.




The trellised zuke plant is the only one left. It just keeps on growing! I still have to hand pollinate the female flowers and not all of the ones in this photo have continued to grow : ( I've noticed two side shoots forming with male and felmale flowers forming. I think as long as it's warm enough I could be harvesting zukes for another month.








Both rows of green beans are still producing. In fact, I think I need to check them daily because they are growing so fast that they are HUGE by the time I havest them. The photo below is one day's harvest. The back row had purple streaks on them and were harvested from bothe rows. All the green beans I harvested in the past couple days don't have the purple streaks.




Does anyone know what caused this? I didn't cook them for a meal because I didn't know if they were safe to eat.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had that happen to my beans, wonder what it was from?
    Your tomatoes look great! Wish I had planted some to can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't worry about the purple streaks. There is a variety of g. beans that are purple(they turn green when cooked), so some of your seeds could have been from reg. plants crosspollinated w/ purple plants or something like that. I'm no botanist so I don't know the technical mumbo-jumbo.lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. your tomatoes look great

    stop by and check out my mommy board if you like
    at www.chatterscene.com
    Put Chris in the who refered you line:)

    ReplyDelete