"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 New Year's Resolution-Living green, organic and all natural on a budget

We live on one income and have made many of our purchases based on that fact.  Before I had a family of my own and more money to burn I bought all natural and organic as much as possible.  In the past many of these items had to be purchased at small, out of the way and EXPENSIVE stores.  We have always bought used items if they are cheaper than new but have strayed from this quite a bit in the past couple of years because it was more convenient.

In my quest for saving money I became hooked on blogs detailing how to get things for free or close to free with coupons, sales and rebates.  But most of these items are loaded with unhealthy chemicals and are produced by companies that are only concerned with profits.  I am hoping that my blog will become a resource and gathering point for other people trying to save money but not compromise their health, ethical beliefs or the environment. 

Why are we making such a big lifestyle change? I don't feel healthy and I know better and I'm tired of making excuses.  We have recently watched many documentaries on what goes into our food, how it is processed and the unethical motivations and damaging consequences of the company's making these products.  I have always known what is in my food/health and beauty/cleaning products but because of money concerns chose to turn a blind eye to the unhealthy and environmentally damaging ingredients in the items I purchased.  I have always known that buying used, recycling, reusing was cheap and environmentally friendly but I became lazy and complacent.  I could say that all the stress and tight budget we've had over the years is an excuse for spending money on the wrong things but we are adults and make choices and are responsible for the consequences.  The fact that a product is cheap is not a good enough reason for me to buy it anymore.

Now, many all natural, organic and environmentally friendly products are available at major grocery stores.  Most of these stores even have their own line of all natural and organic products.  These stores frequently have these items on sale and because of this availability and cheaper cost the stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have cheaper prices and sales in order to compete.

The hardest thing to do is figure out what you want and the easiest part is to find a way or make a way to reach your goals. 

This year is going to be a transition period.  We need to use up what we already have.  We are going to have to try some new things and it might take a while to find tasty/effective products to replace what we are used to.  These are some of the things we are going to do to eventually reach our goals.

-I will no longer purchase any items that aren't environmentally friendly, all natural or organic when possible. 
-Buy used when possible
-Continue to recycle and buy a paper shredder.  We only produce 1-2 bags of trash a week and most of it is paper.  I am paranoid about people going through our trash.  I will be composting the paper when possible.  In the winter all shredded paper will be stored in the attic that won't fit in my compost bins.
-Continue to use rags for cleaning and wiping up spills
-Continue to recycle the paper towels we use to dry our clean hands for cleaning and wiping up spills.  I only use paper towels when I have to have clean hands to eat or prepare food
-Buy from farmer's markets when they are open
-Try to find coupons for green, all natural and organic products/food
-Locate/compare prices/try all natural/organic and earth friendly products available in my local grocery stores
-Wait to buy grocery items until they are on sale/have a coupon
-Buy from bulk bins and bulk sizes
-Eat more whole foods
-Shop groceries on an as needed basis as opposed to a set schedule.
-Cook from scratch in large quantities enough to have leftovers
-Make a meal plan and only buy what is needed for those meals (including snacks when possible) every week
-Continue to compost
-Continue to grow my own organic veggies in the warmer months
-Make purchases based on needs and not wants as much as possible
-Try harder to combine errands into one trip
-Use our canvas shopping bags for all shopping trips

Click here for organic/all natural and environmentally friendly coupons : )  This link has MANY links to product websites and websites for green/all natural/organic stores.

I will be sharing coupon links and sharing tips as I come across them.

Are you now or have you wanted to live green/eat all natural, oranically while saving money.  Why haven't you and if you are, do you have any tips?

When you buy ANYTHING you cast your vote for the products you want to purchase in the future and help bring prices down through store/company competition and creating a demand.  The more of us that demand healthy, humane and environmentally friendly products the more available and cheaper they will become : D

No comments:

Post a Comment